My third guest for SciFiMonth is an SF author who excels at action and intrigue. KB Wagers introduced gunrunner turned royal Hail Bristol in The Indranan War; sequel trilogy The Farian War ups the ante and expands the universe. With the final volume (Out Past The Stars) due in February, I challenged KB to try their hand at Six Degrees of SFnal Separation…
The Six Degrees of Separation challenge
You know the saying: no two people in the contacted world are more than six social connections apart (even in 2020). Inspired by Kate at Books Are My Favourite And Best, I like to apply this notion to books – finding interesting ways to hop from one book to the next based on a shared author, theme, award win and so on.
K.B. Wagers is the author of the Indranan & Farian War trilogies with Orbit Books, and the new NeoG novels from Harper Voyager. They hold a bachelor’s degree in Russian Studies and a second-degree black belt in Shaolin Kung Fu. A native of Colorado, K.B. lives at the base of the Rocky Mountains with their partner and a crew of recalcitrant cats. In between books, they can be found attempting to learn Spanish, dying in video games, dancing to music, and scribbling new ideas in their bullet journal.
- Beneath the Rising – Premee Mohamed | Saving the world
- All the Birds in the Sky – Charlie Jane Anders | Saving the world | Magic
- From Unseen Fire – Cass Morris | Magic | Alternate history
- Upright Women Wanted – Sarah Gailey | Alternate history | Girls kissing girls
- This is How You Lose the Time War – Amal El-Mohtar & Max Gladstone | Girls kissing girls | Time travel
- The Light Brigade – Kameron Hurley | Time travel | Cancelling the apocalypse
- …which loops neatly back around (wild applause from imyril for being thematically appropriate because of course The goddamn Light Brigade will take you back to the beginning) to
- Beneath the Rising – Premee Mohamed | Cancelling the apocalypse
The Farian War
There Before The Chaos (pb Dec 2020) | Down Among The Dead (pb Jan 2021 | Out Past The Stars (new release Feb 2021)
An epic space opera trilogy featuring the gunrunner empress Hail Bristol, who must navigate alien politics and deadly plots to prevent an interspecies war.
Hail Bristol: former runaway princess, interplanetary gunrunner, Empress of Indrana. When the Empire’s closest ally asks her to intervene in a galactic military crisis, she embarks on the highest stakes diplomatic mission Indrana has ever faced. Caught between two powerful alien civilizations at each other’s throats, Hail has one chance to make peace, before all of humanity becomes collateral damage in a full-blown galactic war.
Many thanks to K.B. for diving in with enthusiasm, and to Nazia at Orbit for hooking us up for SciFiMonth.