I sometimes hear fellow bloggers complain that they struggle to finish series, and I think ‘ah, what a shame’ and ‘huh, I don’t do that’. And then Caitlin of Realms of My Mind devised the Great Series Read Project to tackle all the series she wants to finish and I realised… I’ve been kidding myself.
You know I can’t resist a juicy reading challenge, especially when one I can tackle arm in arm with blogger friends. So here goes: I’m joining the Great Series Read Project, because blimey there’s a lot of series on Caitlin’s list that I’d like to finish (ahem, or just read. But I won’t add those to my list yet).
Caitlin is approaching this in a sensible, methodical fashion: dedicating one reading slot per month to an ongoing series until the series is complete (e.g. read book 1 in March, book 2 in April and so on). I intend to be rather more haphazard: there is a little overlap with my Subjective Chaos reading list, so I’ll be starting with those books and then joining Caitlin in a more a sequential approach later this year.
Finishing some of these series will involve rereading from the start. Others will be as simple as picking up the next one and charging onwards. If I’m lucky, some will turn into buddy reads with Caitlin, Lisa, Jason or Suzy (…or you, if you’ve joined the Project and are tackling a series we share). And you can be pretty certain that I’ll add more series to the list by the end of the year because I’ve got the first books of a heap more series sat on my shelves awaiting some love, so this is going to be an ongoing project, not a 2020 reading challenge… which is fine by me.
In no particular order, here’s the initial list of series I would like to get up to date with or finish:
- The Books of Ambha – Tasha Suri
- Embers of War – Gareth L Powell
- Spellslinger – Sebastien de Castell
- The Wormwood Trilogy – Tade Thompson
- The Broken Earth – N.K. Jemisin
- Semiosis – Sue Burke
- The Craft Sequence – Max Gladstone
- Dominion of the Fallen – Aliette de Bodard
- Imperial Radch – Ann Leckie
- Books of Raksura – Martha Wells
- The Murderbot Diaries – Martha Wells
- Divided Elements – Mikhaeyla Kopievsky
- The Invisible Library – Genevieve Cogman
- Rivers of London – Ben Aaronovitch
- Lady Astronaut – Mary Robinette Kowal
- The Chathrand Voyage – Robert V S Redick
- The Steerswoman – Rosemary Kirstein
- The Masquerade – Seth Dickinson
- The Poppy War – R F Kuang
- The Incryptids – Seanan McGuire
- Newsflesh – Mira Grant
- River of Teeth – Sarah Gailey
- Gods and Monsters – Cassandra Khaw
- The Road to Nowhere – Meg Elison
- Ghost Wolves – Alex Wells
- The Patternist Saga – Octavia Butler
- The Culture – Iain M Banks
Like Lisa, I’m adding some Serial Box series to my list too:
- The Witch Who Came In From The Cold
- Orphan Black
Fancy joining the Project? Tag Caitlin in and declare your list. Fancy joining me in reading a specific series? Leave a comment and we can set up a buddy read at some point – I’m happy to read from the start if I have company!