I’m locked high in a tower with my nose in the wrong sort of book this weekend, but at least the view is good from up here – so grab yourself a seat and let me share the doings of my Wyrd and Wonderful companions…
First up, a massive THANK YOU to my wonderful co-hosts Lisa and Jorie for keeping the party going while I traverse Tomb U’ch Werc. And an equally massive THANK YOU to everyone who is blogging, tweeting, Litsying, Instagramming and generally sharing the love of fantasy.
As ever, I’m loving the many types of fantasy being read across our fellowship:
- KRISTA D BALL – A Magical Inheritance | Way Too Fantasy
- T S CLEVELAND – The Guildmaster | Pages Below The Vaulted Sky
- ZORAIDA CORDOVA – Bruja Born | Deanna Reads
- WENDE DIKEC & ABIGAIL DRAKE – Tiger Lily | Jorie Loves A Story
- STEPHANIE GARBER – Caraval | Reader Voracious
- STEPHANIE GARBER – Legendary | Reader Voracious
- STEPHANIE GARBER – Finale | Reader Voracious
- SARA HOLLAND – Everless | Girl of Ink and Fury
- N K JEMISIN – How Long ‘Til Black Future Month? | My World of Books
- GUY GAVRIEL KAY – A Brightness Long Ago | Lynn’s Books
- R F KUANG – The Poppy War | Mousai Books
- MARJORIE LIU & SANA TAKEDA – Monstress Vol 1 | A Dance With Books
- JULIET MARILLIER – Dreamer’s Pool | The Bibliophibian
- JULIET MARILLIER – Daughter of the Forest | Wishes and Pages
- GEORGE R R MARTIN – A Dance with Dragons | Every Day Should Be Tuesday
- KAT RICHARDSON – Greywalker | Mervi’s Book Reviews
- REBECCA ROANHORSE – Trail of Lightning | Bookish Muggle
- ANDRZEJ SAPKOWSKI – Baptism of Fire | Deanna Reads
- V E SCHWAB – Vengeful | My World of Books
- LAINI TAYLOR – Muse of Nightmares | Jessticulates
- SWATI TEERDHALA – The Tiger At Midnight | Mousai Books
- HELENE WECKER – The Golem and the Djinni | BookForager
- JEN WILLIAMS – The Ninth Rain | Girl of Ink and Fury
- NIXX WINTERS – Queen of Salt and Blood | Space and Sorcery
…and a selection of mini-reviews of graphics novels over at Perfectly Tolerable!
The Wyrd and Wonder Challenge
In this week’s Challenge:
- Beth has tackled the next ten prompts in her Blog Tag Challenge at Beth’s Bookish Thoughts
- Lisa made it a Friday Favourite Five for Amazing Magical Artefacts at Way Too Fantasy. Paul only nominated the one, but he did pick one of my life-long favourites
- Favourite Female Character was a popular prompt! Mayri was a vote for Mosca Mye. Lisa introduced us to Margaret of Ashbury. Nils weighed in with a strong case for Ka-Poel and Vlora
Check out #WyrdAndWonder on Instagram for near-daily Challenge responses!
There’s been some thought-provoking discussion this week. Brittany asked What is Fantasy? at Perfectly Tolerable. Annemieke tried to find the difference between grimdark and dark fantasy at A Dance with Books. Kathy has things to say about intimacy, friendship and romance in her post about 5 Fantasy BFFs at Pages Below The Vaulted Sky. And Caitlin weighed in on the importance of maps (HEAR HEAR) at Realms of My Mind.
What bookwyrm can resist a sneak peek into someone else’s reading? Jorie treated us to a #25PagePreview of her current reads, and they’re doozies: The Priory of the Orange Tree, Empire of Sand and Adrift. In other vicarious bookwormery, Jess(ticulates) caught us up on her progress with her Wyrd and Wonder TBR – and Annemieke treated us to ringside seats for her unboxing of a Shades of Magic box.
We’ve had some fun book tags this week if you fancy tagging yourself in. Hannah took the A-Z Book Tag at I Have Thoughts On Books. Brittany took the Marvel Avengers Book Tag (too awesome. I may not be able to resist this one). Annemieke tackled the Bookish Adventure tag – which fantasy world would you pick to go on an adventure?
But that’s not all. Author Aliette de Bodard guested at Dear Geek Place to talk about her favourite fiction tropes. Caitlin took some time to look back at where her obsession with dragons started. Mervi picked 5 Fantasy BFFs (shout out to Shara Thivani and Sigrud, hell yeah!). In honour of the release of The Poison Song by Jen Williams, Lynn featured The Winnowing Flame trilogy for Throwback Thursday – and I made an impassioned case for getting on your bat and reading this brilliant and unusual series.
Lynn now hosts the Friday Face-off (created by Books by Proxy) at Lynn’s Books and there was no avoiding a fantasy theme this week: fabulous beasts it is. Brittany at Perfectly Tolerable, Tammy at Books, Bones & Buffy, and Lynn herself all had some awesome covers to share.
Right, how’s that TBR looking? Before we start thinking about heading back out into the Wild, there’s a few more posts that might make an impact! Lynn featured C L Polk’s sequel Stormsong for Can’t Wait Wednesday; Dani at Mousai Books took a look at her Most Anticipated Reads for the summer; and Hannah put together a divine list of recommendations for fantasy featuring gods (sorry not sorry).
Our read-alongs are coming to a close: next week will see the end of Trail of Lightning (ahem, I think we’ve all actually finished reading it – but we’ll hold off on that final discussion). At just past the halfway stage it seems that The Ninth Rain has stolen all our hearts and we’re convinced Hest will sacrifice us to her tree-god. If you’ve read the books, please pop over to our blogs to join in the conversation (but avoid spoilers for future weeks!)
Trail of Lightning
- Lisa at Dear Geek Place | Week One | Week Two | Week Three
- imyril at There’s Always Room For One More | Week One | Week Two | Week Three
- Nikki at The Bibliophibian | Week One | Week Two
The Ninth Rain
- Lisa at Dear Geek Place | Week One | Week Two
- Jason at Off the TBR | Week One | Week Two
- Nikki the Bibliophibian | Week One |
- Sarah at Dragons and Zombies | Week One | Week Two
- Mayri at BookForager | Week One and Two
In case you’ve forgotten…
- Deanna will send one lucky winner a book of their choice (up to $25) from the Book Depository. Enter using the Rafflecopter before May 31st
- Zezee is offering a book of the winner’s choice (up to $30) from the Book Depository. Enter using the Rafflecopter before May 31st
- Nikki is gifting a copy of one of the books they read this month via the Book Depository. Enter using the Rafflecopter before May 31st
- Plus Nikki has bonus prizes for Habitica users!
- Five gems for one hero who takes part in The Ninth Rain read-along and completes the tasks on Habitica.
- Five more gems are on offer for a winner who takes part in the Trail of Lightning read-along and completes the associated tasks on Habitica
One last thing
As ever, if I’ve missed you in the Quest Log, my apologies. You’re a tricky but rewarding party to track through the woods, and my eyesight isn’t what it used to be. Make some noise on the #WyrdAndWonder hashtags as a sign of your passing, update the Master Schedule with word of where you’re heading, and I’ll gather the gang at the tavern next Monday to hear all about it.
We’re in to the third act now, so things must be about to get Really Serious. Ready for some more Wyrd and Wonder? Damn right we are!