July has been a hard slog in real life – work taking centre stage – so while I’ve done plenty of reading, I’ve not stayed on top of my reviews. This is unlikely to change any time soon – I’m nearly at the end of my extended trip to the US, but I’m hoping to take some actual holiday off the grid when I get home, so it could stay fairly quiet here for a while.
- Yesterday – Felicia Yap
- Whispers Underground – Ben Aaronovitch
- The Voyage of the Basilisk – Marie Brennan
- The Collector of Lost Things – Jeremy Page
- Caliban’s War – James S A Corey
- Signs for Lost Children – Sarah Moss
- Shattered Minds – Laura Lam
- Raven Stratagem – Yoon Ha Lee
- Throwback Thursday: The Tropic of Serpents – Marie Brennan
- Throwback Thursday: Moon Over Soho – Ben Aaronovitch
Stacking the shelves
Read-alongs are terrible for my buying habit (I would have loaned these from the library, but being abroad I’ve no choice but to buy them. No choice I tell you. And given how re-readable these are, what a terrible shame), but honestly I’m just easily led astray.
My annual challenge is to read diversely and to love every book. This year I’ve made things a bit more complicated with subsidiary challenges and more fun with the Game of Books.
- 13 male (29%) / 29 female (64%) / 2 trans, non-binary or genderfluid (4%) + 1 antho
- 9 (20%) – by authors of colour / 25 (56%) prominently featuring POC
- 4 (9%) – by LGBTQIA authors / 19 (42%) featuring LGBTQIA characters
Still ignoring challenges in favour of just enjoying my reading.
- 45 / 35 books or novellas
- 9 / 7 books by authors of colour
- 5 / 7 non-SFF books of which 0 non-fiction
- 2 / 7 classic SFF books (5 incl. rereads)
- 14 / 21 – off the shelf (it doesn’t count if I bought them to read them straight away!)
- Game of Books score: 238 / 175 (I should probably revise this…)
- 20 Books of Summer score: 11 / 20 (novella and rereads don’t count)