I have a history of having a little reading slump through the summer, and this year appears to be no exception: partly because of a couple of longer-term reading projects in progress (The Republic of Thieves read-along and my weekly helping of Tremontaine) and partly because Life Wins All Ties (family visiting from overseas, not being very well, and a delightful trip to Paris).
- Throne of Jade – Naomi Novik
- All Is Fair – Emma Newman
- The Best of Apex Magazine – edited by Jason Sizemore & Lesley Conner
- Black Powder War – Naomi Novik
Bite-size book reviews
I’ve gone back to my short stories after a couple of weeks’ hiatus, and will continue to focus on shorts each Friday for the rest of the year. This month, I read:
Stacking the shelves
I have been so restrained, but I couldn’t resist the chance to find out what Cathy does next…
My challenge to myself is to read diversely and to love every book. This tracker is intended to help me stay mindful of how I’m doing with that. I’m reasonably happy with my progress here, although I need to keep an eye on it.
- 20 male (45%) / 20 female (45%) / 3 trans, non-binary or genderfluid (5%)
- 8 (18%) – by people of colour
- 6 (14%) – by non-het people / 9 (20%) featuring non-het protagonists
- 44 / 75 books (again excl. this month’s bite-size reads as so short)
- 18 (41%) – towards the Backlist Challenge (excl. re-reads)
- 6 / 20 – towards the #20BooksofSummer Challenge